At Edinburgh Art Festival, we are committed to minimising our environmental impact, working directly, and in partnership with our participating venues and Festival colleagues.
As an active member of the Festivals Edinburgh Environmental Group, we are proud to have contributed to the development and ongoing delivery of a joint Environmental Policy across all Edinburgh’s festivals.
We are proud to participate in the Green Arts Initiative, a project designed to support festivals, venues, companies and audiences in reducing their carbon footprint while participating in the arts.
Here are some examples of the ways in which we are working to minimise our impact on the environment:
- Working to reduce the amount of printed materials the Festival produces
- Printing the Festival Guide with 100% sustainable paper (FSC certified)
- Communicating with artists, audiences, partners and stakeholders by email rather than letter, where possible
- Recycling any waste produced in our day to day operations and encouraging the recycling of any waste produced in the presentation of artist’s projects
- Encouraging staff and artists to travel by train rather than plane wherever possible
- Encouraging our audiences to consider environmental sustainability when travelling to and around the Festival
- Offering vegetarian and vegan only catering options at our events
Our programme has regularly featured artists and projects reflecting on themes and ideas around environmental sustainability.
Image: Palm House, Bobby Niven, 2017 | Photo: Johnny Barrington